What is the Planetary Health Student Ambassador Program?
The Planetary Health Student Ambassador Program is a competitively-awarded leadership opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students committed to educating their campus community about planetary health. Ambassadors may hail from universities with an active planetary health community or be based at universities where students and faculty have minimal knowledge of the field. This is a semester-long commitment for Spring 2019, with the option to renew for a second semester. As a Planetary Health Ambassador, students will be asked to organize 1-3 outreach activities per semester, depending on the size and complexity of the activity/event.
What are the benefits of being a Planetary Health Ambassador?
Students will have the opportunity to be recognized as “champions” of planetary health in their communities, while also developing and building their leadership and organizational skills. They will become part of a broader network of planetary health ambassadors, made up of individuals from a variety of academic interests, ages, and nationalities.
Students will have the option to be paired with a mentor in the planetary health field to assist in their career development. Mentors and ambassadors will be paired based on interests and/or location, and both parties will aim to meet in-person or virtually 2-3 times per semester.
Requirements for applicants (per semester):
- Have been on the university campus for one or more semesters
- Organize 1-3 activities on campus, depending on scale
- Check-in with the PHA at a minimum of once per month
What are some of the activities students could organize?
While there are a wide range of events students could organize, some examples that have been successful for the Planetary Health Alliance include:
- Planetary health movie screenings
- On-campus art display/installation
- Invite planetary health experts for a panel discussion
- Host an interactive workshop
- Work with existing environmental groups on campus to implement planetary health solutions
- Design educational campaigns around campus